This explains the reasons why and how St Mary’s Catholic High School may use images and videos of your child. Please read the information thoroughly and outline your agreement as appropriate.
Why do we need your consent?
St Mary’s Catholic High School requests the consent of parents on an annual basis to use images and videos of their child for a variety of different purposes.
Without your consent, the school will not use images and videos of your child. Similarly, if there are only certain conditions under which you would like images and videos of your child to be used, the school will abide by the conditions you outline in this form.
Why do you we use images and videos of your child?
We use images and videos of pupils as part of school displays to celebrate school life and pupils’ achievements; to promote the school on social media and on the school’s website; and for other publicity purposes in printed publications, such as newspapers.
Where the school uses images of individual pupils, the name of the pupil will not be disclosed. Where an individual pupil is named in a written publication, a photograph of the pupil will not be used to accompany the text.
If, for example, a pupil has won an award and their parent would like their name to be published alongside their image, separate consent will be obtained prior to this.
We may take images or videos of individual pupils and groups of pupils to use on social media, the school website, in school prospectuses and other printed publications, such as a newsletter.
Who else uses images and videos of your child?
It is common that the school is visited by local media and press, who take images or videos of school events, such as sports days. Pupils will appear in these images and videos, and these may be published in local or national newspapers, or on approved websites.
The following organisations may use images and videos of your children:
- Lancashire Evening Post
- Tempest/Fizz Photography
- Feeder Colleges/local primary schools
Where any organisations other than those above intend to use images or videos of your child, additional consent will be sought before any image or video is used.
What are the conditions of use?
- This consent form is valid for the current academic year.
- It is the responsibility of parents to inform the school, in writing, if consent needs to be withdrawn or amended.
- The school will not use the personal details or full names of any pupil in an image or video, on our website, in our school prospectuses or any other printed publications.
- The school will not include personal emails or postal addresses, telephone or fax numbers on images or videos on our website, in our school prospectuses or any other printed publications.
- The school may use pictures of pupils and teachers that have been drawn by pupils.
- The school may use work created by pupils.
- The school may use group or class images or videos with general labels, e.g. ‘sports day’.
- The school will only use images and videos of pupils who are suitably dressed, i.e. it would not be suitable to display an image of a pupil in swimwear.
- The school will take class images of your child which are available to purchase annually.
Refreshing your consent
This form is valid for the entire academic year, it will be updated on an annual basis. Parents are required to fill in a new form for their child every academic year.
Consent will also be refreshed where any changes to circumstances occur – this can include, but is not limited to, the following:
- New requirements for consent, e.g. an additional social media account will be used to share pupil images and videos
- Changes to a pupil’s circumstances, e.g. safeguarding requirements mean a pupil’s image cannot be used
- Changes to parental consent, e.g. amending the provisions for which consent has been provided for
Where you would like to amend the provisions for which consent has been provided, you must submit your request in writing to the data protection officer (DPO). A new form will be supplied to you to amend your consent accordingly and provide a signature.
Withdrawing your consent
Parents have the right to withdraw their consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the legality of processing images or videos that were shared prior to withdrawal; however, the school will make every effort to remove images of the pupil where possible, e.g. images of the pupil on the school’s website will be removed.
If you would like to withdraw your consent, you must submit your request in writing to the DPO.
- Why my consent is required.
- The reasons why St Mary’s Catholic High School uses images and videos of my child.
- Which other organisations may use images and videos of my child.
- The conditions under which the school uses images and videos of my child.
- I have provided my consent above as appropriate, and the school will use images and videos of my child in line with my requirements.
- Consent is refreshed on an annual basis and I must re-provide consent if I consent to images and videos of my child being used in other academic years.
- I will be required to re-provide consent where any circumstances change.
- I can amend or withdraw my consent at any time and must do so in writing to the DPO.